Local Restrictions Support Grant for businesses forced to close
The Government has announced further financial support for businesses in the form of new grant schemes.
** These grants are only for certain businesses who have business rates liability AND have been instructed to close by Government (see list below).
Please read the information below to ensure you are eligible for a grant before applying, as the grant application portal will not accept requests from businesses that do not meet the Government’s qualifying criteria.
Grants are not available to businesses that:
- are able to continue to trade.
- have chosen to close but have not been instructed to do so.
- are in administration, insolvent or subject to a striking-off notice.
Grants CAN BE available to the following businesses and venues who have been forced to close:
- Non-essential retail, such as clothing and homeware stores, vehicle showrooms (other than for rental), betting shops, tailors, tobacco and vape shops, electronic goods and mobile phone shops, and market stalls selling non-essential goods. These venues can continue to be able to operate click-and-collect (where goods are pre-ordered and collected off the premises) and delivery services. NATIONAL LOCKDOWN PERIOD ONLY
- Leisure and sports facilities such as leisure centres and gyms, swimming pools, tennis and basketball courts, golf courses, fitness and dance studios, climbing walls, archery, driving, and shooting ranges. NATIONAL LOCKDOWN PERIOD ONLY
- Personal care facilities such as hair, beauty, tanning and nail salons. Tattoo parlours, spas, massage parlours, body and skin piercing services must also close. It is also prohibited to provide these services in other peoples’ homes. NATIONAL LOCKDOWN PERIOD ONLY
- Hospitality venues such as cafes, restaurants, pubs, bars and social clubs, with the exception of providing food and drink for takeaway (before 10pm; and not including alcohol), click-and-collect, drive-through or delivery.
- Accommodation such as hotels, hostels, guest houses and campsites. Except for specific circumstances, such as where these act as someone’s main residence, where they cannot return home, for homeless people, or where it is essential to stay there for work purposes.
- Entertainment venues such as theatres, concert halls, cinemas, museums and galleries, casinos, amusement arcades, bingo halls, bowling alleys, skating rinks, go-karting venues, soft play centres and areas, circuses, funfairs, zoos and other animal attractions, water parks, theme parks. Indoor attractions at botanical gardens, heritage homes and landmarks must also close, though outdoor grounds of these premises can stay open.
- Community centres and halls must close except for a limited number of exempt activities as set out below. Libraries can also remain open to provide access to IT and digital services – e.g. for people who do not have it at home - and for click-and-collect.
Grants for the national lockdown period are awarded to the ratepayer for the four-week period. The value is dependent on the Rateable Value (RV) of the relevant property:
- RV of £15,000 or less – grant award £1,334
- RV over £15,000 but less than £51,000 - £2,000
- RV of £51,000 or over - £3,000
Grants for the tier 3 period are awarded to the ratepayer for 14-day periods. The value is dependent on the Rateable Value (RV) of the relevant property:
- RV of £15,000 or less – grant award £667
- RV over £15,000 but less than £51,000 - £1,000
- RV of £51,000 or over - £1,500
Businesses that are required to close by Government, including non-essential retail, leisure, personal care, sports facilities and hospitality businesses, will be eligible to apply for the following grants: Tier 4 restrictions between 31/12/20 – 4/1/21, Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed) (5/1/21 – onwards) and Closed Businesses Lockdown Payment (5/1/21 – onwards).
The grants amounts are based on the Rateable Value and are below:
RV £15,000 and Under
Tier 4 31/12/20 – 4/1/21 payment - £238.20
Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed) Addendum: 5 January onwards - £2,001
Closed Businesses Lockdown Payment - £4,000
RV £15,001 - £50,999
Tier 4 31/12/20 – 4/1/21 payment - £357.15
Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed) Addendum: 5 January onwards - £3,000
Closed Businesses Lockdown Payment - £6,000
RV £51,000 and Over
Tier 4 31/12/20 – 4/1/21 payment - £535.70
Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed) Addendum: 5 January onwards - £4,500
Closed Businesses Lockdown Payment - £9,000
Grant awards are subject to the state-aid de minimis limits.
How to Apply
Please note that as part of the application process you will be required to upload copies of the following:
- Proof of ratepayer identification (Passport / Driving Licence / Financial Accounts)
- Evidence of business trading as at 4th November (Delivery Note / Expenses Receipt / Purchase Order / Sales Receipt)
- Evidence that the ratepayer is named holder of bank account (Bank Statement)
- Evidence of company occupying the property as at 4th November (Electric Bill / Gas Bill / Landline Bill / Water Bill).
You will also need to supply both your property reference number and account reference number (you will find these on your bill)
In addition, you may be required to supply your national insurance number dependent upon your trading status.
APPLY NOW for Tier 4 restrictions, National Lockdown and Closed Business Lockdown Payments
APPLY NOW for “wet pubs”
If you feel you are eligible for one of these grants and the application process will not accept your request, please contact the business rates team at Businessratesgrants@dudley.gov.uk.
If you are not eligible for the Local Restrictions Support Grant you may wish to check your eligibility for the Additional Restrictions Grant. This is a discretionary scheme that has been announced to provide further support for:
- Businesses that have closed but do not pay business rates, and
- Businesses that have not been required to close but are still severely impacted by national lockdown restriction.